Norman Sterling has more than 30 years' experience in the sales and sales management arena. He brings a strong set of competencies, and personal experiences, built over decades of helping clients plan, design, and execute solutions to sales and sales management business problems. His years spent working on some of the world's largest sales force development projects and some of the largest global accounts have given him a unique perspective and keen insights into processes, toolsets, deployment best practices, and implementation strategies.
Clients looking for world-class help in addressing their sales challenges have long sought Norman out for his creativity and innovation skills
Clients looking for world-class help in addressing their sales challenges have long sought Norman out for his creativity and innovation skills, along with his leadership and facilitation abilities. These clients include global companies like Microsoft, Pfizer, BT Global Services, Cisco, American Standard Brands, HP, EDS, CSC, Equifax, Red Hat, Schneider Electric, NetApp, IBM, Dell, Sprint, Sun Microsystems, and AT&T.
Some examples of the large-scale engagements Norman is most proud are;
- Spearheading the growth strategy planning for a global technology company’s sales transformation Norman sold, developed and deployed a worldwide program to bring the sales matrix into closer alignment with their top 80 clients. This seven figure consulting and deployment contract has yielded active pipeline growth of over $2B with almost twice this amount in latent pre-pipeline opportunity.
- Leading the design, development and deployment of a strategic planning program for one of the world’s leading software companies 90 largest global accounts. Successfully implemented worldwide, the program focused on extending their traditional account planning process beyond traditional buyer groups into new lines of business by exploiting the partner ecosystem and deeper client participation in the process.
- As Engagement Manager for this global systems integrators Client Growth Strategy planning Initiative he led a co-development effort to integrate various pre-existing intellectual property into a custom solution for the client. As one of two Master facilitators charged with building the delivery team, he led a joint team, made up of client and consultant resources, in a worldwide deployment across 200 client teams. They exceeded all ROI and participant satisfaction goals as well as reaching the client goal of making the client 100% self-sufficient at the end of the engagement.
- This global client’s High Performance Selling initiative was a major project that underpinned the organization’s transformation. Comprising Sales training, Sales Planning (Territory, Account, Opportunity) and Sales Management Training (Executive and First Line) it is considered one of the boldest sales transformations ever undertaken. As part of a consultant team established to design and deploy solutions in support of this initiative Norman led the development and deployment of an integrated set of planning, selling and sales management methodologies that was then executed worldwide using everything from self-service models to facilitator led approaches for huge Global Accounts. Such was the client’s confidence in his abilities he was the only external consultant on the project that was on retainer to participate in the client’s Industry Group internal requirements definition team.
- Transforming sellers with a “Delivery” or “Contract” mentality to those who could engage more consultatively with the client was the challenge Norman faced at this global telecommunications client. The development and global deployment of a "Sales and Business Management Academy" for the client’s business management teams was the solution. Norman again led this project’s development team and participated in the delivery of the Academy worldwide.
- Applying many of the best practices from high technology clients to those outside that industry was a satisfying and value added aspect of his involvement at this major Pharmaceutical giant. The need to transform how they managed their major business to business relationships was critical in a changing marketplace so Norman worked with them to develop a strategic account management transformation program. Sales Team’s today must collaborate with their partner ecosystems to bring maximum value to their clients. The facilitation of highly complex and “ego strewn” collaborative planning workshops between alliances has given Norman the opportunity to expand his expertise into this exciting dimension. Often facilitating two, three or even four-company planning interventions, (often in 360 degree sell to, sell with and sell through motions) many with representatives of the client in the room, is business as usual for Norman and is an environment he revels in.
Norman is an Honors Engineering degree graduate from the University of Ulster in Northern Ireland. He gained the prestigious Chartered Engineer, and MIET (Member of Institute of Engineering and Technology) status while working in Studio Capital Projects at the BBC in London.
After the BBC he was recruited into IBM (UK) to meet IBM’s growing need for experienced high technology project leaders to support the expansion of their worldwide manufacturing and development organizations. After the successful implementation of many high technology and extremely fast-track projects he was then recruited by IBM’s Industrial Sector sales organization where he developed his sales competencies to consistently over achieve sales quotas and be elected to IBM’s Golden circle for Top Performers on three occasions during his time on territory. As IBM reengineered into a more services orientated organization his career at IBM also evolved by first moving him into the manufacturing practice of IBM Global Services Consulting Group and then to a pan-European Consultant role where he consulted with teams team’s competing on IBM’s most highly competitive sales situations.
A move to the USA in 1995 heralded the start of his 20 year consulting career highlighted earlier where he has maintained his passion for working with sales teams at the customer interface. During this time Norman was Executive VP at e-Strategia Consulting Group, Principal at Alliancesphere as well as running his own consulting company.
Now a dual UK and US citizen, Norman resides in Milton, Georgia, with his wife Lynn. His 21 year-old son Robert is a senior at The University of Miami. Norman has a love of most sports, a passion for football (soccer), enjoys cooking (especially barbeque), and is an avid movie buff. Norman is a past-President and advisor to the St. Andrew Rowing Club in Roswell Georgia. This not-for-profit high-school-level club team of 100 young men and women compete at a regional and national level in the sport. You may also hear him commentating from the announcer’s booth at some of the largest rowing regattas in the South East or see him marshaling the fairways at East Lake Golf Club where he is a 11 year volunteer committee member at the PGA Tour Championship which proudly funds “The Miracle at East Lake” inner city rejuvenation project.